Wednesday, April 18, 2012

GLUTEN FREE POPOVER RECIPE, THE BEST YOU'LL EVER HAVE!!!!


I had never even heard of a popover until I was married in 1997.  As a wedding gift I received a popover pan and looked at my husband and said "what the heck is a popover!"  He told me how delicious it was and told me I would love them.  I did, they truly were delicious!!  We have been gluten free for a year and finding the best tasting gluten free popover was a moral imperative :)  This recipe is the best you will ever have!!  ENJOY.


MAKES SIX POPOVER'S

Make sure you buy the sorghum flour, it's what makes it taste so good.  Sorghum is a sweet tasting flour and pulls the recipe together.  Also, definitely invest in a popover pan if you want them to look perfect.  Muffin tins don't work as well.

1/3 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

3 large eggs
1 cup milk (I use original almond milk)
2 tablespoons melted butter (I use earth balance soy free)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Put your popover pan in the heated oven for 5 minutes.  

While waiting for the popover rack to heat up put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adding the melted butter last so the hot butter doesn't cook the egg.  Blend the ingredients very well, making sure there are no lumps.  It should be thin so there’s no need to add more flour.

Take the popover pans out of the oven.  Fill each cup evenly with the batter, usually about 3/4 of the way full.  Don't skip the step of heating the pan, it really makes a difference with the way they rise. 

Bake in the oven at 450 degree’s for 20 minutes.  Lower the temperature down to 350 degrees and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Take them out of the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, take them out of the pan and serve the popovers hot.  We love to poke a hole in the top and drop butter in and let it melt.  I usually serve these with home made chicken and rice soup.  YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment